March 1, 2020
As one of the largest and most trusted agencies serving older New Yorkers, JASA’s primary focus is the safety and health of the seniors we serve. We are closely monitoring developments of the Coronavirus outbreak and its impact on the senior population, which is more vulnerable to this illness. We are in direct communication with City and State agencies to guide our protocols and plan as the situation unfolds.
The City is advising those with chronic lung disease, heart disease, cancer, diabetes, or a weakened immune system to avoid unnecessary events and gatherings.
SYMPTOMS TO LOOK OUT FOR:
● Shortness of breath or trouble breathing
TIPS TO STAY HEALTHY:
● Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, or use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
● Get your flu shot — it’s not too late. Although the flu shot will not protect you from the coronavirus, it will help prevent the flu which has similar symptoms to this virus.
● Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue or sleeve when sneezing or coughing — do not use your hands.
● Do not touch your face with unwashed hands.
● Stay home and seek medical attention if you are not feeling well.
Up-to-date information can be found on the CDC website: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html. If you have any questions on finding medical care, please call 311.