Careers at JASA Certified Home Health Aide - Home Care
Registered Nurse and Service Coordinator
Job Type: Full Time
WE ARE LOOKING FOR FULL-TIME, PART-TIME, AND PER DIEM HOME HEALTH AIDES!
SUMMARY: To provide thorough and effective care, as per New York State’s
Department of Health guidelines. The care is directed by a Registered Professional
Nurse and is outlined in a written plan of care. All care is compliant with standard
precautions and is conducted according to the established policies, procedures and
objective of the home care agency.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Performs and documents direct client care delivery as specified on car plan; observes, records, and reports information about client.
• Assists with personal care needs which includes:
- Shampooing hair
- Dressing upper and lower body
- Oral hygiene, including denture care
- Maintenance of hearing aids, eyeglasses, and other prosthetics (bring the equipment/ device to the patient; assist the client to put on/ off the equipment/ device; clean and store the equipment/ device)
- Routine and special skin care
- Positioning and turning in bed
- Perineal care and urinary catheter care (clean skin and catheter tubing with soap and water; empty the drainage bags; measure and record urinary output)
- Bathing client
- Nail care
- Assisting with toileting and elimination
- Collects specimens.
- Temperature, including reading a glass thermometer
- Blood Pressure
• Assists with pre-poured medications that are self-administered.
• Uses prescribed medical equipment and supplies such as oxygen and medication nebulizer consistent with the Home Health Aide Scope of Practice guidelines.
• Assists with ambulation, range of motion, prescribed exercise program as instructed by a professional therapist, transferring and alignment including use of special equipment such as wheelchairs, Hoyer lift, crutches, walkers, and safety devices.
• Performs household duties while maintaining household safety and principles of accident prevention. Household tasks include:
- Preparing meals in accordance with a prescribed diet ranging from regular to simple and complex modified diets.
- Feeding client
- Washing dishes
- Changing linens
• Escorts client and performs errands as directed under plan of care. Recognizes emergencies and follows agency procedures appropriately. Exhibits understanding of physical, emotional and developmental needs of clients.
• Provides assistance to self-directed clients in handling cash in amounts no greater than $100.00 for groceries and other household supplies as documented on the plan of care and under general supervision of the Registered Nurse.
• Complies with agency confidentiality policies; demonstrates an understanding of client’s rights and maintains respect for client privacy and personal property.
• Complies with New York State Department of Health requirements for 12 hours of in-service per year, annual health assessments, annual TB evaluation and testing, any testing required by the agency to determine if a health risk exists with the employee that could potentially harm the client, competency evaluation and annual performance review.
• Works weekends and holidays as required and other related duties as assigned or requested.
SPECIALIZED SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES:
• Observation, reporting and documentation of client status and care or service furnished.
• Good communication skills
• Reading and recording temperature (using a glass thermometer), pulse and respiration.
• Basic infection control procedures.
• Basic elements of body functions and changes in body function that must be reported to an aide’s supervisor.
• The ability to maintain a clean, safe and healthy environment.
• The ability to recognize emergencies and knowledge of emergency procedures.
• The ability to recognize the physical, emotional and developmental needs of clients and develop ways of working with them. This includes recognizing the need for respect for the client, his or her privacy and property.
• Appropriate and safe techniques in personal hygiene and grooming that include:
- Bed bath
- Sponge, tub or shower bath
- Shampoo, sink, tub or bed
- Nail or skin care
- Oral hygiene
- Toileting or elimination
• Normal range of motion and positioning.
• Must be computer literate, including ability to learn and use program-specific software.
Frequent prolonged standing, walking; lifting, pushes and/or transfers client; lifts
supplies and equipment; frequently twists, stoops, bends, squats; occasionally climbs
stairs. May spend varied percentage of working time indoors or outdoors, depending
upon client needs. Communicates orally and/or in writing with client’s families, visiting
nurses, therapists, etc. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable
individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions of the position without
compromising client care.
EDUCATION, TRAINING, AND WORKING CONDITIONS:
• Graduate of a New York State Department of Health approved Home Heath Aide Training Program, and/or Personal Care Aide Upgrade Program
• Works without regular supervision in client’s homes. May be frequently exposed to client elements. Subject to varying and unpredictable situations, in an unsupervised environment with frail, compromised elderly or sick individuals, and/or children.
Certified Home Health Aide - Home Care